9.25.2013

SS14 | Milan Round-up

PRADA
When Prada showed, everyone freaked. My Facebook feed was "ALL HAIL MIUCCIA" and "THANK GOD FOR PRADA" and "EVERYONE GO HOME, PRADA KILLED IT"--no joke. 
I will admit at first that I didn't see the appeal in it, but as I clicked through the collection for the second time, it truly grew on me. Maybe one gem short of sensory overload, the collection was a feast for the eyes, with colors and textures head to toe. Athletic influences infused with whimsical yet sophisticated youthfulness is how I would describe the collection. I cannot get over the bejeweled bra tops and encrusted dresses as well as the cool face motifs on some of the coats. Vibrancy and in-your-face embellishment is great for spring. 
COSTUME NATIONAL
Are we getting sick of minimalism yet? If it's even possible for me to get sick of black and white done in über clean cuts, then I guess I sort of am. However, Costume National kept me clicking picture after picture, with details here and there catching my eye. It was interesting to see the theme of asymmetricality run from garment to garment, taking on the form of an immensely low cut bodice with 1.5 lapels to that citron one-sleeved blazer. The accessories also looked perfectly clean and structured--I would love to own that multi-pocketed white bag with the navy strap in look trés. 
MARNI
I feel like I haven't really fell in LOVE with Marni collections as much as I did when I first started following the runway scene a few years ago. This SS14 collection truly captured my attention, though, for a variety of reasons. The label's impeccable taste in textiles/prints was evident in the stunning linear floral print of the second ensemble. I love the juxtaposition - the fluidity and organic aspects of the pieces interposed with straight belts and a few boxy cuts. The floral appliques were hands down my favorite part, adding gorgeous texture, sheen, and wow factor to a simple track jacket and pencil skirt among other pieces. 
SALVATORE FERRAGAMO
I am increasingly pleased with the direction Salvatore Ferragamo has been going in womenswear as of late. An extremely luxurious take on utilitarian outerwear, the trench was one of the first looks, redone in a fresh white with silver hardware with numerous jackets in creamy beige tones keeping collection ever-evolving from start to finish. The construction of the pleated skirts with the "caping" (can you call it that? caping?) detail diagonally over the front with the buckle is honestly so amazing. I would love to get my hands on a skirt like that. The collection ended with two deep navy looks, and that last dress grabbed my attention--though subtle and rather simple, it flowed so elegantly. 
ICEBERG
Two words - futuristic kawaii. I'm very much into the colored and patterned paneling on those amazing jackets/pullovers, which somehow give me an astronaut-y vibe. I especially love the fourth look, with the Japanese appliqued onto the opaque body of the pullover and paired with the holographic strip skirt... too good! Overall, it was a very fresh and youthful collection that I would totally wear.
GIANFRANCO FERRE
What a great collection to finish off Milan. Essentially the antithesis of all over-the-top pageantry (think Dolce & Gabbana, Moschino) that is signature to MFW, Gianfranco Ferre was a clean cut and pleasant deviation. Sharp lines were juxtaposed with several fluid silhouettes and waterfall constructions while obi style belts cinched the paperlike waists, in the spirit of the origami look and Japanese aura to the collection (which I personally perceived). Bravo!!!
images via style.com

Hope you enjoyed my Milan fashion week round-up!
Paris started yesterday, so stay tuned for my favorites from #PFW!
xx
INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN' | FACEBOOK